Sunday, July 12, 2009

Friends


Friends have been on my mind a lot this week. As a female I've had my share of ups and downs with girlfriends growing up. At times it was really hard (being ostracized from the group in high school, one friend going after the guy I liked behind my back) and lately it's been amazingly good (wonderful, thoughtful and generous girls in my life) and I feel extraordinarily lucky. Girls, however, are tricky. We just are. We can be incomparably loyal and steadfast or equally as deceptive and catty. We can be kind or manipulative, inseparable or in the most dramatic of fights. Things can change in a day, an instant. Breaking up with girlfriends in the past has been more brutal and sad and draining than breaking up with any boy I've ever dated. I still have the scars to prove it. 

The girls I have in my life now are the ones I know I'll have for life. At thirty I no longer invest if I don't feel like it's worthwhile. Lately I've had the incredible opportunity to reconnect with a friend that I thought was gone for good. I guess you could say we "broke up" last year for no good reason except girl "weirdness" and I have missed her enormously. I feel lucky to have a second chance as I know true and good friends are honestly hard to come by and therefore I value them all the more. I've also made some new friends that even after a short time period I can't imagine my life without. 

My grandmother lost her best friend this week, which is particularly why I have been thinking of my friends so much. They were best friends since they were 20, a near 65 years. I find that incredibly inspiring and touching. They spoke several times a day, sometimes up to 5, about the most funny, simple and mundane of things, my grandmother told me. They spoke only hours before she passed, at 10pm while they were both tucked up in bed with the television turned on. This week my grandma told me to hold onto my friends, as they are so important. I couldn't agree more. 



Leah, Nicole, Erika, Rachel, Alexandra, Kayli, Chloe, Lauren, Sarah, Ashley, Mari Pier, Tiffany, Marle, Erin, Kate, Katita, Britt, Alana~ thank you for blessing my life and being a part of it. I love you. 

Betty, I'll miss you. 

5 comments:

  1. thanks love, beautifully written. i am lucky to have you in my life too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you a big hug and lots of love.
    Sarah
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel very lucky to have you in my life as well. That was really touching, and very true...I've always cherished the women in my life and have really come to understand the importance of female friendship. Amidst the ups and downs that life procures, it is so important to have steadfast friends who enrich one another's lives, support eachother, and of course provide plenty of laughter and debauchery along the way! After all, more often than not it is us women who are left together at the end of it all, scouring the early bird special!
    Love,
    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, insightful post! You are so sweet. I'm so happy to be back in town and sharing great moments with you again.
    love,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just met up with an old friend from the past too! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin