I've been scouring my favourite website, Etsy, for Christmas gift ideas~ both for others and myself (naturally). There is no shortage of amazing, creative gifts and I'm sharing a few on my personal wish list here. As a reminder~ if you order anything online for the holidays be sure to give yourself enough time for delivery! There is nothing like presents for your loved ones not arriving on time (ouch).
Alice in Wonderland is my absolute and enduring favourite. I love everything about it and so I adore this print above. It's Alice and the Cheshire Cat, printed on vintage dictionary paper. It would be a unique, interesting addition to my burgeoning gallery wall.
The most handsome and gorgeously rugged movie star to ever grace the silver screen (in my humble opinion), I love this canvas tote bag emblazoned with the image of Steve McQueen. I could carry this lovely face as an alternative to those other, boring, reusable shopping bags.
A much better option, I think.
It's been my dream ever since I was little to be able to paint. I wish so much I had the innate talent for it. Well, I certainly do not and so I love to admire the work of others. This sweet little painting, Beckoning Path, would be perfect on a small wall in the apartment. At only $45 it is shockingly affordable for a work of original art.
This brushed gold, leaf necklace is so pretty and delicate and would look amazing with a strapless top or dress. Plus, every girl needs a little beautiful something at Christmas time!
Here are a few of my Christmas gift ideas! Etsy is an amazing source for anyone you could possibly have to buy for.
Well, it's almost December! When the calendar finally turns to the 1st the nonchalant pretending that I don't care in the last few weeks of November turns into a full on Christmas love fest. Christmas decorating, Christmas baking, Christmas shopping and Christmas music... I adore it all. One of my favourite traditions is my month long marathon of the absolute greatest Christmas movies. Movies dedicated to the holidays always hold wonderful sentiments... family and friends, love, hope, dreams and generosity of spirit. I have a long list that I watch every December, year in year out. I could not do any countdown, because I love them all. However, number one?
1. It's A Wonderful Life~ Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed are magical together and I cry like a child every time. One day I imagine a marriage like theirs for myself. The most beautiful Christmas movie I can imagine.
2. Love Actually~ Not a Christmas movie per se, but it's set during the holiday season and is a wonderful testament to the power of love at this time of year. Plus, many of my girlfriends agree on this~ the cue card love scene between Juliet (Keira Knightley) and Mark is one of the most romantic movie scenes. Ever.
3. Scrooged~ Bill Murray at his finest as the vicious Frank Cross in this modern day (well, 1980's) re-telling of Charles Dickens' classic, A Christmas Carol. My first favourite and it still endures for me. I never get tired of it.
4. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation~ Chevy Chase? Check. Weird family visiting? Check. Hilarious scenes involving Christmas lights, a squirrel in the tree and Elaine from Seinfeld? Check! A ridiculously funny classic and a must see for many laughs out loud.
5. The Holiday~ What can I say? Jude Law as a yummy single dad and Kate Winslet in her first romantic comedy role are enchanting. Again, not a veritable "Christmas movie" but set during the holidays, it is wonderful and heart warming. Eli Wallach as Kate's 90 year old neighbour steals the film, to be sure.
6. Home Alone~ Childish, I know. I first saw this in the theatres when I was ten years old and it still resonates with the kid in me. Although Kevin's hijinks when he is left behind are sweet and funny, the true heart of this movie lies within the importance of family, between the McCallisters and the family reunion of Kevin's mysterious next door neighbour.
7. The Family Stone~ Beautiful, touching and sad~ my favourite combination. Diane Keaton as the Stone matriarch is magnificent (with a touch of malice) and the bevy of Stone kids? Dermot Mulroney, Luke Wilson and Rachel McAdams with Sarah Jessica Parker and Claire Danes also in the supporting cast. A big, dysfunctional family Christmas. I love it.
8. The Family Man~ I'm not normally insane about Nicolas Cage but he is lovely and endearing in this role as a man who, while living a purely selfish life, is given a "glimpse" on Christmas Eve of what his life would have looked like had he married his college love. A beautiful, simple movie about family and the things truly worth having in this life (hint: it's not money and success). I watch this on Christmas Eve after all our family has left, in bed, nearing midnight. I usually fall asleep to it.
9. How The Grinch Stole Christmas~ The 1966 cartoon version of this Dr. Suess tale is the one I love. A magical half hour about how a person (or creature) can truly change through the wonder of this holiday season. Boris Karloff's iconic voice in itself is worth watching the film for. Perfect for Christmas lovers of all ages.
10. A Christmas Carol~ My dad's absolute favourite, this 1951 black and white classic features Alastair Sim as Ebenezer Scrooge and is the most famous and enduring tale of this holiday season. This is always on in our house late Christmas Eve and I watch (part) of it with my dad every year while we drink champagne or rum and egg nog. Half an hour into it my adorable daddy is usually snoring happily and so I retire to bed.
What are your favourite Christmas movies? Is there anything I have missed that are must sees?
On Sunday I fell in love. Luckily this is not with a boy who will break my heart. My girlfriends and I were waiting for a table for brunch in Yaletown and out front of the restaurant three dogs waited patiently for their owner to finish his Benedict. My heart was gone. I have wanted a dog for years but both my apartment building and lifestyle (and pocketbook) don't allow for it yet. Still, whenever I see a dog I adore I write down the name of the breed for my "One Day" file. Pomeranian? Check!
Paprika had me right away. She was this little pile of golden fluff and nothing more. Her bark (and she only did so when her mom came to collect her) was the cutest one I've ever heard. She was so sweet and lovable (and hilariously smaller than Lulu). I wish I could have scooped her up and taken her home right then. But "One Day" will have to do.
(Photo via Google and not the real Paprika *sigh*)
Okay, I admit it, I like (love?) a good cocktail. I'm not a beer girl, I don't do shots and I'll certainly drink the odd glass of wine, but at heart I love a refreshing, pretty, even girly cocktail. My best friend Leah and I love to go into West (where her boyfriend is an amazing cook), sit at the bar and request the bartender to make whatever he wants for us. It never, ever disappoints and these have been, to date, the most amazing concoctions I have ever had.
For anyone who enjoys a decent drink around the city, the December issue of Vancouver Magazine has a feature on exactly this. Especially as the holidays descend, it is a great source on where to find the best cocktails in the city to celebrate, as well as the most decadent bar snacks (written by my ever talented and handsome boss Chris Gonzalez, and that's with a Z thank you very much) and plenty of other entertaining tidbits, such as the best and worst pick up lines ever uttered in these establishments and the secret behind the inimitable Vancouver nightclub The Roxy (oh memories!). Just reading this made me ready to hit the town again to eat and drink up a storm. The perfect ending to a day of Christmas shopping, I think!
I love stumbling upon photos of homes that remind me of mine, because then it inspires me and offers brand new decorating ideas. This house is breathtaking and far bigger and more beautiful than mine, but the architectural bones of this place are reminiscent of my heritage apartment. I love the all over whiteness of the below living room~ it's so soothing, simple and elegant (but I would switch out the dark coffee table for something prettier). On the other hand I absolutely adore the pale robins egg blue shade in the room above. I would love this exact colour on the walls in my bedroom.
I can't wait to start painting~ any takers? Please!
My brother's kick ass band Elias was in Toronto last week and what did they do? Oh, they just played MTV Live! Yep, they hit up the Temple to play three songs off their new album, Lasting Distraction. Could I be more proud of these four guys or thrilled for them? Not possible.
Vintage teacups and saucers make for the prettiest jewelry display I've ever seen! Ask your mother or grandmother for any china pieces they aren't using or scour second hand stores for mismatched teacups. Layer your earrings, necklaces, bracelets and rings in pretty combinations and in contrasting colours. Seeing what you have on display will allow you to perfectly accessorize everyday and such a lovely collection will make any dresser top incredibly pretty.
Here's the thing....getting over someone is an amazing thing. In the beginning you think it will never happen. You've never met anyone like them, you miss them, their voice, their smile, their everything. You'll never find anyone as cool, smart, deep (dysfunctional, selfish, narrow minded). All you want is to go back. Rewind to the happier times, simpler times, or maybe even rewind to before they entered your life so you wouldn't feel like this now. Time goes by. You eventually put the ice cream carton (vodka, chocolate, sweat pants) away and start to go out with your girlfriends. You start to notice other men again~ cute men who look back at you. You don't think of him every waking moment and things that reminded you of him only days ago, those things start to fade, lose significance.
Getting over someone is an amazing thing. You think it will never happen, that you'll never forget. But you do. Life is wonderful that way. Time heals (pretty much) all wounds. Human nature pokes its head through the earth and you start to feel like yourself again~ lovable, worthy, ready. What hurt weeks ago is now a dull ache in the back of your mind....and that too fades eventually. Getting over someone feels powerful, like you mastered a challenge. And you did. You are choosing to value yourself over someone who you are not meant to be with (no matter how cool, smart, deep). Choose yourself, every time.
Getting over someone. It will happen, despite what it feels like in the beginning. Just give it time. I promise. Life looks better on the other side of it. And once again, anything is possible.
Thank you, Emily, of my absolute favourite blog Cupcakes and Cashmere for backing me up on this one and proving my last post was not complete madness! Emily is one of the most fashionable and chic girls I have ever seen in this blog world so I couldn't help but feel a little bit of glee when she posted this outfit this morning~ Levi cutoffs worn with tights! And she completely rocks it.
Visit Emily's blog for daily style, design and culinary inspiration.
When this trend first popped up this season I was very unsure. It seemed like some people just couldn't let go of summer! Hello, people! Come on, embrace fall! Put down the shorts! However, I was wrong. When you choose the right shorts paired with the right tights, shoes, top and accessories...this look is fashion forward, edgy and incredibly stylish. I can admit it. I was wrong, and now I love this combination. J.Crew has styled this look to perfection. Not only do they sell beautiful, dressy shorts but they have perfectly on trend, patterned tights and my fave, booties! Be brave and try this look. Your gutsiness will pay off!
The first sign of Christmas around my place....pretty white lights on the spiral staircase! I'm not ready to decorate fully yet but I felt the place needed, well, something today. Lulu fully appreciated the effort~ she was fascinated by the lights, racing up and down the stairs, all hyper!
The stores are filling up with Christmas decor and ornaments and I hate to admit it.... but I'm already planning my holiday decor! Christmas is by far my favourite time of year. I love the smell of apple cider brewing to sample in Williams Sonoma. I love the persistent cheer of carols in the stores and (I shamefully admit it) on a permanent loop in my car. I love sending and receiving cards in the mail, if for no other reason than to express love at such a time of the year. I love it all, the happiness and gushiness of it all.
I decorate my place faithfully on the 1st of December. Sadly my apartment building won't let me have a live tree so mine is a fake. It does a good job but I love the smell of a real tree. Still, there are plenty of pretty decorations to sustain me through the holiday season and I love to spread them throughout my entire apartment, even the kitchen and powder room. I'll certainly post on the upcoming holiday more as it draws closer but I wanted to share some of the holiday decor seen at my favourite place, The Cross. Isn't it all heavenly?
I utterly love this white Christmas tree. I want one for myself this year!
Owls are my absolute favourite! I adore both the owl lamp and the tree ornaments like crazy!
Cupcake and pink reindeer ornaments? These are so on my list!
Snowflake scatter is perfect for a seasonal party!
I don't ever wear a watch on a daily basis. Like most people I know the only clock I continually refer to during the day is the one on my cell phone. I find that when I did wear a watch I was overly preoccupied with what time it was..... all the time. I mean, I can't say that a Gucci bangle watch hasn't been on my wish list for, like, ever, but I rarely (never) have a good $600 or more to drop on an accessory. On the other hand, these watches from La Mer Collections are high on style and far lower in price. I adore the range of colours and the additional chains are extra stylish. I could definitely be persuaded to clock watch with one of these, and all for around $100US.
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
This much I know for sure.... surgery bites. I've been through it before and I'll go through it again but the one this week was yet another health blip. I'll spare you the details but I will say that the imposed rest has been good for both body and soul and my head is feeling clearer than ever.... despite the drowsy haze leveled on me by painkillers. Despite all the unknowns in my life at the moment, this much I know for sure...
1. Lulu is the best medicine. Lulu and morphine.
2. The hospital is an awesome place to meet gorgeous, young doctors. I met three. On the downside, when they are examining you in a kick ass, super stylin' hospital gown all romantic potential is sort of a no go.
3. Cheesy TV a la 90210, Melrose Place and The Ghost Whisperer is good for the soul (in a guilty pleasure sort of way). On the other hand, The Vampire Diaries is dangerously good and addictive.
4. I have the best nurse in the world. I call her mom.
This much I also know for sure...
This tiny, adorable fawn bud vase is one of the sweetest things I've seen in ages. Perfect for just a single flower or seasonal sprig. I would place mine on my bedside table to admire its cuteness. Also a perfect gift for your girlfriend who has everything. One of the many things I have my heart set on right now from The Cross.
My new guilty pleasure is the beautiful website and blog Once Wed. I'm seriously nowhere near getting married (duh) but this site is a candy store for the eyes. I absolutely adore this photo~ especially the amazingly lovely colour combination of the aqua bridesmaids dresses paired with yellow shoes and pink flowers. Heaven.
This confection of a dress is high on my wish list right now. The rosette bedecked shift is heartbreakingly romantic and sweet but can be styled, as above, to be edgier. I've just discovered the fabulous website ModCloth and they have no less than half a dozen dresses I'm yearning for at unbelievable prices. This one tops the list.
I heart this chair, as seen on Bliss. I love the modern shape and the whimsical printed fabric and I love it paired with the rustic, twig side table. I would like two of these in my living room please.
Remember my post on this wallpaper in my friend Sarah's lovely home? Here it is again, seen on This is Glamorous. I love it more than ever. Wallpaper is like jewelry. It immediately dresses up any room to perfection. It's so worth the risk. Also see Chloe's post on more gorgeous wallpaper on My Favourite Things.
I love funny things for the kitchen (I have scissors in the shape of a woodpecker that make me laugh every time I use them). These Easter Island inspired ice cube trays are fantastic for cocktail hour! Well worth the $10 to see the smiles on everyone's faces! They also sell this line at Front on Main Street.
I dream of this dress from BCBG. It makes my heart pitter patter. Is there anything to say other than hubba hubba? I worship the drama of this backless number, not to mention the simply gorgeous violet colour and its stunning asymmetry. This one is so special I don't think I can pass it up. It would be perfection for an upcoming Christmas party.
This much I know for sure.... the internet is a great distraction and I will get better soon. Thank you to all my wonderful friends and my family for their hugely appreciated support and love. xo