Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oscar's Golden Girls

Here are my Oscar favourites only a few hours after these beautiful women walked the red carpet. The night undoubtedly belonged to Sandra (okay, okay~ after Kathryn Bigelow of course!). Bullock has been touted to win the Best Actress award for weeks and besides that, this weekend she actually turned up to collect her two wins for the "Razzies" (the worst of the worst acting awards, for which she "won" for All About Steve). Who could not love a woman who doesn't take herself at all seriously?

I love her and am so thrilled she won tonight for The Blind Side.

Sandra's speech for Best Actress tonight was everything the very best of acceptance speeches always are~ unrehearsed, witty, tender and touching (without being hysterical). There were tears pouring down my cheeks for two reasons: 1) When she choked up mentioning her late mother and how she had supported her no matter what she wanted to do, and 2) The obvious adoration she has for her husband, Jesse James, displays to me what I believe a true, forever kind of love to look like. Plus, her references to her competition with Meryl Streep were laugh out loud hilarious. Hands down my favourite part of the evening!

Sandra's dress was absolutely one of my favourites. Her metallic and lace Marchesa gown looked so vintage to me and it was lovely on her. Her sideswept hair and gutsy bright pink lipstick were also beautiful. Oscar's golden girl looked perfectly the part this evening.

My absolute favourite dress of the night, however, definitely belonged to presenter Cameron Diaz. Her gold beaded, strapless Oscar de la Renta gown was the stuff of dreams, as was her ridiculously gorgeous hair and red lips. I worshipped everything about this look and I can't say enough enthusiastic things about it. This now belongs in my All Star roster!

Second on my list was the always incredible Rachel McAdams. Her watercolour-esque Elie Saab gown was original and daring and I feel like her brave choice paid off. Painterly prints are still very hot, even after being so popular last spring and summer. I hate to label this look as trendy. Hopefully it will stick around for seasons to come as it's just so feminine and artistic and inspiring. To me, Rachel looks like a goddess. Everyone else may not love it but I think it's drop dead gorgeous. This is how Canadian girls can rock it!

I adore Elizabeth Banks (you would too if you caught her episode of Modern Family a few weeks back) and she looked like a vision in this grey blue Atelier Versace gown tonight. Calling to mind for me Penelope Cruz's Versace in 2007, it is comprised of a lot of ruffles. A lot. I would never wear this many ruffles in a million years, but it's the Academy Awards for crying out loud! If you can't strut around in something this unabashedly girly on Oscar night when the heck can you? I don't adore this angle but the girl looked genuinely amazing on that huge stage and she has the Grace Kelly-like, blond, patrician good looks to pull off so big a dress. Not my number one choice, but one I surprisingly adored.

I hope you had fun watching tonight and feel free to share with me your favourite moments and gowns! I suppose I should see The Hurt Locker now...!!

1 comment:

  1. Great picks! We had a few of the same favourites :) I loved Elizabeth Banks' dress too although I didn't include it.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin